New Delhi: One in every 100, and one in every 85: that’s how many people, and children, have been killed in Gaza over the last 100 days.These days, therefore, have been the deadliest 100 days of armed conflict ever in the 21st century, as per a report published by the Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia, a body of 20 Arab countries under the United Nations.The report has called for an “immediate cessation of all hostilities”. Among its many recommendations, the report stressed on the need for civilians to be protected, and be able to avail of unrestricted access to humanitarian aid.Deadliest armed conflict this centuryThe war on Gaza by Israel crossed its 100th day on January 14. The war, which began on October 7 last year, has resulted in destruction, displacement and deaths. As of February 6 this year, 27,585 Palestinians have lost their lives and 66,978 have been injured.This is one of the statistics in the recent report on the war published by the Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ECSWA). This body under the United Nations aims to, among other things, support economic and social development in member countries, and promote interaction and cooperation between them. The ESCWA comprises 20 Arab countries: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, the State of Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the Sudan, Somalia, the Syrian Arab Republic, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen.Per the ESCWA report, more than one person in every 100 people in Gaza has been killed in just 100 days. This amounts to 240 deaths every day. The rate of deaths “exceeds that of any other armed conflict in the twenty-first century”, the report said.Children the worst hitAnd children have been terribly hit. Of the 27,585 people killed in Gaza, 12,345 are children. One child in every 85: that’s how many children have died here during the 100 days so far, per the report. This, the report says, is “the highest rate by a wide margin when compared with other recent major conflicts”.The report has called for an “immediate cessation of all hostilities”. It also predicts that the “destructive impacts of the ongoing war on the social, economic and institutional fabric of the State of Palestine will severely affect humanitarian, development and recovery efforts for generations of Palestinians to come”.“These impacts will only intensify the risk of future violence, making the prospect of renewed and deadlier outbreaks more likely in the future,” the report said.The report’s recommendations include protecting civilians and civilian essential-service infrastructure and ensuring unrestricted access to humanitarian aid (and recommends that aid providers strengthen their collaboration and coordination to make sure that their aid is effective). It also stressed on the need to “rehabilitate” health infrastructure, including hospitals and other medical facilities, by providing them with fuel, medicines, equipment and human resources. It will also be crucial to provide psychological and emotional support to traumatised people, and particularly children, the report said.Israel intensifies airstrikes on Gaza’s RafahAt least 25 people were killed as Israeli airstrikes pounded the city of Rafah on Gaza’s southern border overnight and into Saturday, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-controlled territory.As per latest news from the UN, the city of Rafah in south Gaza on the border with Egypt is now home to more than half of Gaza’s population of more than two million. The city was already home to about 2,50,000 people. Resources – including access to food and clean water – are dwindling. According to municipal authorities, the city has produced the equivalent of a year’s worth of garbage in just three months.Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu directed the country’s military to plan for the “evacuation of the population and destroying” Hamas fighters in Rafah on Friday.Israeli forces have already carried out operations in the strip’s two main cities — Gaza City and Khan Younis.The plan has been heavily criticised by humanitarians and some of Israel’s closest allies.“Israel’s declared ground offensive on Rafah would be catastrophic and must not proceed,” Doctors Without Borders said in a statement. “There is no place that is safe in Gaza and no way for people to leave.”“There is a sense of growing anxiety, growing panic in Rafah,” said Philippe Lazzarini, the head of the UNRWA agency. “People have no idea where to go.”“No war can be allowed in a gigantic refugee camp,” said Jan Egeland, Secretary-General of the Norwegian Refugee Council, warning of a “bloodbath” if Israeli operations expand there.Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas, the head of the Palestinian Authority, which administers part of the West Bank, called it a “blatant violation of all red lines.”Mahmoud Abbas warned it would amount to a “prelude to expulsion.”The US State Department also said it does not support a ground offensive in Rafah, warning that, if not properly planned, such an operation risked “disaster.”German foreign minister Annalena Baerbock has warned that Israel’s planned offensive in Rafah would unleash a “humanitarian catastrophe.” “The emergency in Rafah is already unbelievable. 1.3 million people are seeking refuge from the fighting in a very small space,” she wrote on X, formerly Twitter.EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell warned that an Israeli offensive on Rafah “would lead to an unspeakable humanitarian catastrophe and grave tensions with Egypt.”“Resuming negotiations to free hostages and suspend hostilities is the only way to avert a bloodshed,” Borrell posted on X.British foreign secretary David Cameron also said he was “deeply concerned about the prospect of a military offensive in Rafah.”“The priority must be an immediate pause in the fighting to get aid in and hostages out,” Cameron posted.With inputs from DW.