New Delhi: Pro-India hackers claimed responsibility for a cyberattack that temporarily disabled the website of the Canadian Armed Forces on Wednesday.
The Indian Cyber Force hacking group shared screenshots of the Canadian military website being taken down on Telegram, and X (formerly known as Twitter). The group said the breach would last two hours, which it did, according to the Canadian newspaper Globe and Mail.
In a statement to the newspaper, Daniel Le Bouthillier, head of media relations at the Department of National Defence, said the “disruption” started around Wednesday noon “but was rectified later that afternoon.”
The report said that the breach occurred on a site that is “separate and isolated” from the Government of Canada and the Department of National Defence’s public websites and internal networks. “We have no indication of broader impacts to our systems,” Le Bouthillier said.
According to Globe and Mail, the Communications Security Establishment – Canada’s intelligence agency – had last week warned information and technology administrators to be vigilant of an increase in cyberattacks. “CSE and its Canadian Centre for Cyber Security have observed that geopolitical events often result in an increase in disruptive cyber campaigns,” it said.
The warning was preceded by the Indian Cyber Force’s threat to Canada on September 20 to “get ready to feel the power” of its attacks. Two days later, it said the Canadian government’s “allegations and anti-India politics really crossed the limits”.
Relations between Ottawa and New Delhi have nosedived since Prime Minister Justin Trudeau public accused agents of the Indian government of having a role in the killing of Sikh leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar, a Canadian citizen, in British Columbia. India rejected the allegation.