New Delhi: India is not among the 85 United Nations member states which have condemned Israel’s de-facto expansion into the occupied West Bank.The Palestinian Mission to the UN has posted the joint statement by the countries and three global groupings – League of Arab States, Organization of Islamic Cooperation, and European Union – on its social media accounts.Nation states which have signed the statement include Algeria, Andorra, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chad, China, Colombia, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Denmark, Djibouti, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guyana, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Russian Federation, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Somalia, South Africa, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Tajikistan, The Gambia, Türkiye, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Republic of Tanzania, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Yemen, and Zimbabwe.“We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel’s unlawful presence in the West Bank. Such decisions are contrary to Israel’s obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed. We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation,” the statement says.Israel has been increasing construction in the occupied West Bank and clearing the last semblances of bureaucratic hurdles to ease total control over the area in recent months, but a recent decision by its government on February 15 will kickstart a land regulation process that will allow it to takeover huge tracts of land in the region.An Associated Press report notes how it paves the way for the resumption of “settlement of land title” processes, which had been frozen in the West Bank since the Mideast War in 1967. When Israel begins the land registration process for a certain area, anyone with a claim to the land must submit documents proving ownership.The Israeli anti-settlement group Peace Now is quoted by AP as having said that the process likely amounts to a “mega land grab” from Palestinians.The statement is noteworthy as even countries which have steadfastly backed Israel’s relentless strikes amounting to a genocide in Gaza – like Germany – have decried its move in the West Bank.India, historically a supporter of oppressed people, has shifted stance in its open backing of Israel under Prime Minister Narendra Modi.In June last year, when more than three-quarters of UN member states backed a resolution calling for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza, the release of hostages by Hamas, and unimpeded humanitarian access – India had abstained, arguing that durable peace can only emerge through direct negotiations.In 2024, India had abstained from a resolution by the UN Human Rights Council that called for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and an arms embargo on Israel.“We reiterate our rejection of all measures aimed at altering the demographic composition, character and status of the Palestinian Territory occupied since 1967, including East Jerusalem. Such measures violate international law, undermine the ongoing efforts for peace and stability in the region, run counter to the Comprehensive Plan, and jeopardize the prospect of reaching a peace agreement ending the conflict,” the joint statement of nations says.Together, the countries have reaffirmed their commitment reflected in the New York Declaration to take concrete measures, in accordance with international law, and in line with the relevant UN resolutions and the July 19, 2024 Advisory Opinion of the International Court of Justice, “to help realise the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination and to counter the illegal settlement policy in the occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem, and policies and threats of forcible displacement and annexation.”“We reiterate that just and lasting peace on the basis of the relevant United Nations resolutions, the Madrid terms of reference, including the principle of land for peace, and the Arab Peace Initiative, ending the Israeli occupation that began in 1967 and implementing the two-State solution, where two democratic States, an independent and sovereign Palestine and Israel, live side by side in peace and security within their secure and recognised borders on the basis of the 1967 lines, including with regard to Jerusalem, remains the only path to ensure security and stability in the region,” they have said.On February 17, António Guterres, the secretary-general of the UN, also personally condemned Israel’s actions.“I condemn the Israeli Government’s decision to resume land registration procedures in the occupied West Bank. The decision could lead to the dispossession of Palestinians of their property & risks expanding unlawful Israeli control over land in the area. I call on Israel to reverse these measures & on all to preserve the only path to lasting peace, a negotiated two-State solution in line with international law,” he had said.