UP: Minor Rape Victim Dies, Family Says She Was Set Ablaze By Accused's Relative, Friends

Three people have been arrested in addition to the rape accused, and two police officers suspended for negligence.

New Delhi: A 15-year-old rape victim from Uttar Pradesh’s Bulandshahr died at a hospital in Delhi on Tuesday, with her father alleging that she was set afire by an uncle of the accused and his friends who were pressuring her to reach a compromise.

Three persons were arrested following a complaint by the victim’s father, while the rape accused was already in jail, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Santosh Kumar Singh said, adding two policemen have also been suspended for alleged negligence in handling the case.

Police had earlier said that the woman had allegedly set herself ablaze this morning due to stress.

“The (rape) incident took place on August 15. The accused was arrested and he is still in jail. This morning, at 8 am, she came to the hospital with burn injuries. She was sent to Delhi for treatment where she died,” Singh said, according to NDTV. “Till 11 am, it was known that the girl set herself on fire. However, her family has alleged that she was set on fire by others…a fair investigation will be conducted. For now, three people have been arrested in the case.”

Also read: Bihar: Kin of Men Who Molested, Burnt Alive 20-Year-Old Threaten to Kidnap Sister

According to a complaint filed by the woman on August 15, she was raped by a man who had come to her village to guard a mango orchard, the SSP had said. The accused was arrested the same day and has been in prison, the police official said.

The SSP said the uncle of the accused and one of his friends were forcing the victim to reach a compromise.

On Tuesday morning, the girl was burnt under suspicious circumstances. She was referred to a hospital in Delhi where she died during treatment, he said.

Her father has given a written complaint in which he has alleged that his daughter was set afire following which the arrests were made, the SSP said. The SSP said he had suspended Sub Inspector Vinayakant Gautam and constable Vikrant Tomar for alleged negligence.

He said Jahangirabad Police Station in-charge Vivek Sharma and Anoopshahar Police Officer Atul Kumar Choubey and Inspector Subhash Singh have been taken off active duty.

(With PTI inputs)