UP: After Shootout, Scuffle, Mob Lynches Muslim Youth, Leaves Brother Fighting For His Life

Villagers of Bhirpur had reportedly told the deceased, Zafar Alam (18), to stop visiting the village to meet a girl. When they spotted him there on Monday, an altercation followed in which he was eventually killed.

Listen to this article:

New Delhi: A man was killed and his brother suffered serious injuries in the Bhirpur village in Uttar Pradesh’s Kaushambi district on Monday, March 21, after a mob lynched the former following an altercation, the Times of India reported.

A first information report (FIR) has been lodged against the mob, the members of which are yet to be identified, for the murder of Zafar Alam (18), a resident of Asrauli village, and the injuries sustained by his brother, Noor (26).

Inspector Aditya Vikram Singh of the Pipri police station, under whose jurisdiction Bhirpur village falls, told the newspaper that the incident took place around 10 am on Monday.

Zafar Alam reportedly used to frequent the village to meet a girl from the Kori community. The police said that according to the girl’s parents, the villagers of Bhirpur had warned Zafar against meeting her.

While inspector Singh said that the exact timeline of events is still being pierced together and that the police, in its investigation, is still “corroborating each and every piece of evidence”, he offered a tentative timeline to the Times.

When the villagers spotted Zafar on a motorcycle in the village on Monday, they began chasing him down. While Zafar attempted to flee, he managed to contact Noor, who was near the village at the time and rushed to his aid.

Also read: Recognising the Pattern in Hate Crimes Across Uttar Pradesh

As Zafar continued to try and escape, he reportedly opened fire on the villagers with a katta (country-made pistol). However, when Zafar ran out of bullets, the mob was able to catch him and beat him to death. When Noor arrived, he too, was beaten and was later admitted to a hospital after having sustained severe injuries.

Upon getting this information, Singh said officers from the Pipri station went to the spot, calling for personnel from three other stations to provide back-up. Thereafter, the went to the hospital where Zafar was pronounced dead and Noor still remains, undergoing treatment.

Police pickets have been deployed in the village to maintain law and order.