Labour

Three Die While Cleaning Manhole in Maharashtra's Panvel

Locals said all three had entered the manhole without any protective gear.

New Delhi: Two sanitation workers and the contractor who had employed them died of suffocation in a manhole at Panvel in neighbouring Raigad district in Mumbai, police said Wednesday.

The incident took place at Kalundre village Wednesday evening.

The labourers were engaged in cleaning a sewage line when they apparently suffered suffocation due to poisonous gases inside a manhole, an official said.

According to a Times of India report, locals alleged all three had entered the manhole without any protective gear.

Also Read: To Put an End to Manual Scavenging, We Need to Change Public Discourse Around It

Two of the deceased were identified as Vikas Mhaskar, the contractor, and Santosh Waghmare, a labourer. The identity of the third person is yet to be ascertained.

As per the provisions of the state’s Municipal Solid Waste Management Act, 2000, manual cleaning of sewers and manholes is banned in all corporations that come under this Act.

Join The Discussion