Listen to this article:
New Delhi: Five people were killed and 67 others injured after a fire broke out in a Durga Puja pandal at Uttar Pradesh’s Bhadohi after a halogen light overheated.
The fire broke out in a Durga Puja pandal in Narthua village, a stone’s throw from Aurai police station, around 9.30 pm on Sunday, October 2, District Magistrate Gaurang Rathi told the news agency PTI.
A performance was taking place at the pandal and 300-400 people were inside it when the fire broke out on Sunday night. The pandal was reduced to ashes. Most of the people inside the pandal were women and children.
— Ahmed Khabeer احمد خبیر (@AhmedKhabeer_) October 3, 2022
Two of the five dead are 12 and 10 years old respectively. NDTV has reported that a third child has died. Among the two adults who have died is a 45-year-old woman.
A total of 67 people were injured in the fire, out of whom three are in a serious condition, PTI reported.
“A halogen light at the pandal overheated, causing an electric wire to catch fire at multiple points simultaneously. Soon the fire engulfed the wooden scaffolding and the tent,” Rathi said.
The cause of the fire was ascertained by a special probe team constituted by Additional Director General Ram Kumar, the DM said.
Superintendent of Police Anil Kumar said that an FIR has been lodged at Aurai police station.
The Durga Puja had been organised by Ekta Club Pooja Samiti.
(With PTI inputs)