New Delhi: Manipur chief minister N. Biren Singh has announced that 60 people have been killed and 231 injured in the violence that broke out in the northeastern state since May 3.
Biren made the announcement on Monday, May 8. By then, news outlets had already collated figures from various hospitals and morgues and arrived at similar numbers.
Biren also said that 1,700 houses had been burned down in the violence and that 35,000 people have been displaced as a result of it.
This is one of the worst ethnic clashes that the state has seen in recent years.
Hearing a petition, the Supreme Court on May 8, asked the Union and Manipur governments to take necessary steps to enhance security for those affected by the violence and provide relief and rehabilitation to them.
Calling the violence “unfortunate,” Biren said that a high-level inquiry would be conducted into it.
Several states have meanwhile evacuated people from Manipur. Most are students. Biren said 1,593 people have been evacuated yet.
Biren also announced that the Manipur government will be providing an ex-gratis and compensation of:
(i) Rs 5 lakh to the families of those who died,
(ii) Rs 2 lakh for grievous injuries and Rs 25,000 for non-grievous injuries
(iii) up to Rs 2 lakh as relief for families whose houses have been burnt, after assessment by the authorities, and
(iv) assistance in building the houses that have been burnt down/damaged.