Listen to this article:
New Delhi: A group of 26 people in Uttar Pradesh have been charged with public mischief for attending a namaz gathering inside one of the people’s houses. According to the Times of India, the namaz gathering was held “without permission” from the authorities and against the neighbours’ wishes in the Chhajlet area of Moradabad district.
“Scores of people assembled at the house of two local villagers on August 24 without any notice and offered prayers. They had been cautioned in the past not to indulge in encouraging such a practice at home, following objections from neighbours,” SP (Rural), Moradabad, Sandeep Kumar told the newspaper.
“An FIR has been registered under IPC 505-2 (statement conducing to public mischief in an assembly engaged in the performance of religious worship) against 16 identified and 10 unidentified persons on the complaint of local Chandra Pal Singh. We are looking for those involved in the case,” Kumar continued.
Right-wing groups had reportedly staged protests and demanded action after videos of the namaz gathering held in Dulhepur village went viral on social media.
All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen MP Asaduddin Owaisi said that objection to offering namaz at home is injustice. “Supreme Court has said that namaz can be offered anywhere. Why is there an objection to offering namaz at home? This is injustice,” he told ANI.