Delhi Riots: FIR Against Tahir Hussain Over 'Role' in Killing IB Man, AAP Suspends Councillor

Hussain has repeatedly said he had no role in the killing of the IB officer. He had been asking for help amidst raging violence himself.

New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party councillor Tahir Hussain, who is accused of having been involved in the death of an Intelligence Bureau staffer, was late on Thursday suspended from primary membership of the party.

The suspension order will stay till police probe against him is completed, AAP sources told PTI.

An FIR was registered on Thursday against AAP councillor Tahir Hussain for allegedly being involved in the killing of Intelligence Bureau staffer Ankit Sharma, police said.

The complaint was registered by Sharma’s father, following which a case was registered under sections 365 and 302 of the Indian Penal Code, they said.

Also read: AAP Councillor Refutes Allegations on IB Staffer’s Killing, Had Tweeted SOS to Police

Sharma was on Wednesday found dead in a drain in north east Delhi’s riot-hit Chand Bagh area where he lived.

Following the allegations, police have charged Hussain with murder.

BJP leader Kapil Mishra, whose words reportedly set off the first spate of violence in Jafrabad on Saturday, also suggested Hussain’s involvement in Ankit Sharma’s murder on Twitter.

Several BJP leaders including its national spokesperson Amit Malviya, South Delhi MP Ramesh Bidhuri, and Delhi spokesperson Harish Khurana also tweeted or retweeted videos of a building they claimed belonged to Hussain saying it was being used to attack citizens.

Several Twitter users have posted a video in which Hussain is seen asking for help amidst the violence.

As The Wire’s report noted, Hussain told a news channel that he had no role in the killing of the IB officer. “I swear by my children I had no role in it. I am not that kind of a person,” he said.

Hussain also claimed that he had himself fled his building with his family and taken refuge at a relative’s house after a mob had taken control of his building. He said he was rescued from the place two days ago by the police.