header
Communalism

Haryana: Nuh Internet Ban Extended Till August 11, 'Admin Failed to Assess Situation': Dy CM

Chautala said that such an atmosphere in the state has been created in a planned manner for the first time and strict action will be taken against those involved.

New Delhi: Haryana deputy chief minister Dushyant Chautala on Tuesday said that the administration didn’t assess the situation in Nuh adequately while describing its condition as “still critical and tense”, the Tribune reported. The state government has extended the suspension of mobile internet and SMS services in the district till August 11.

The internet ban in the district has been in effect since the violence erupted in the district after a Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) procession on July 31. The internet suspension in Nuh was earlier extended on August 2, August 5 and August 8 in wake of the escalated tensions. Meanwhile, the internet in Manipur was suspended for 83 days after ethnic violence erupted in the state on May 3 – the longest internet ban in the country.

According to a DW report, India accounted for approximately 58% of all documented shutdowns globally. There were 84 shutdowns in the country in 2022, more than any other in the world. In 2022, Jammu and Kashmir experienced the most shutdowns, at 49, including 16 back-to-back orders for three-day closures in January and February last year.

According to the report, Chautala said that the additional DGP (law and order) had received a request for a procession of 3,200 people by the organisers. The police force had been deployed accordingly.

“…Lack of assessment by the administration which could not assess this entire episode properly. Nuh SP (now transferred) was on leave since July 22, the one who had additional charge could not assess it properly and the officials from whom permission (for the procession) was taken they too could not assess it properly. It is a point which is under investigation,” the Tribune quoted him as saying.

Chautala had earlier said that the organisers of the religious procession had not given a proper estimation of the expected turnout to the district administration, a lapse which may have led to the violence, the report said.

Six people, including two home guards and a cleric, died in the communal clashes. A total of 312 persons have been arrested and 142 FIRs registered so far in connection with the communal clashes in Haryana, home minister Anil Vij said in a statement on Tuesday.

For the first time, such an atmosphere in the state has been created in a planned manner and strict action will be taken against those involved, be it a minor or major, Chautala was quoted by the paper as saying.

On allegations that “one sided action was being taken”, Chautala said those being arrested do not belong to a particular caste or community.

He also said the Haryana government was able to “control the clashes within seven hours” when he had seen “such incidents continue in other states for two-three weeks. “I think it was our efficiency that we were able to curb anti-social elements,” Chautala added.

Curfew has been relaxed and it will be lifted gradually, he said.

Also read: Nuh Demolitions: Residents Say Due Process Flouted, Reject ‘Illegal Establishments’ Claim

The communal clashes that began in the neighbouring Nuh district spread to parts of the city and nearby areas last week with incidents reported from Gurugram, Faridabad and Panvel.

Days after the violence, the state government had commenced a demolition drive in Nuh which was stopped after the Panjab and Haryana high court took suo moto cognizance of the matter and ordered a halt.

Muslim body Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind has moved the Supreme Court seeking directions for rehabilitation of those whose homes were razed by authorities in Nuh, the report said. The organisations, in a statement, said that even though the Panjab and Haryana high court had ordered a halt on the demolitions, it had not asked the government to rehabilitate and compensate those who were displaced in the drive.

Meanwhile, the government has transferred Nuh DSP Jai Prakash to Panchkula. Prakash is the third officer after SP Varun Singla and Deputy Commissioner Prashant Panwar who have been transferred from Nuh since the violence erupted, the Tribune reported.

Nuh SP Narender Bijarnia on Tuesday said that a search operation is being conducted to arrest the accused in connection with the violence, the report said.

“So far 57 FIRs have been registered and 170 people have been arrested in Nuh district. Apart from 1,900 police personnel, 31 companies of paramilitary forces have been deployed to maintain law and order in the district. Posts on social media over missing people/women are misleading,” Bijarnia was quoted by the paper as saying.