External Affairs

India Issues Demarche to Pakistan Over Ceasefire Breach

File image of Indian Army jawans patrolling the border. Credit: PTI

File image of Indian Army jawans patrolling the border. Credit: PTI

New Delhi: India has issued a demarche to Pakistan on “continued violations of ceasefire along the LoC” and strongly condemned “increased concentration of terrorists observed across the border in the vicinity of Pakistani forward posts”.

The Ministry of External Affairs called in a senior official of the Pakistan high commission yesterday and made a demarche on the continued violation of ceasefire along the Line of Control, ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup said today.This is the third such demarche this month.

This is the third such demarche this month.”We conveyed that despite calls for restraint, Pakistan forces have committed twelve ceasefire violations between 9 and 15

“We conveyed that despite calls for restraint, Pakistan forces have committed twelve ceasefire violations between November 9 and 15, 2016 during which Pakistan army deliberately resorted to calibre escalation by employing artillery and 120 millimetre heavy mortars against Indian posts,” Swarup said.

“These violent acts constitute a clear violation of the Ceasefire Agreement of 2003,” he added. A counsellor rank officer from the Pakistan high commission was called in.

India has also conveyed its strong condemnation of the “increase in concentration of terrorists observed across the Line of Control in the vicinity of Pakistani forward posts”.

“During the last week alone, there have been 18 instances when terrorists attempted to infiltrate into the Indian side from the vicinity of Pakistani posts and also targeted Indian posts and patrols,” the spokesperson said.

The government has also protested the “deliberate” targeting by the Pakistan army of 14 villages along the LoC during this period which has resulted in four fatal and 25 non-fatal casualties, besides extensive damage to public and private property and displacement of the civilian population, he said.

India also reiterated the concerns of the government about the safety and well-being of Sepoy Chandu Babulal Chavan, who inadvertently crossed the LoC over six weeks ago, and sought his early and safe repatriation.