Armed forces

Curfew Lifted in Kashmir Valley Except in Kishtwar

A security Jawan stands guard during curfew in Srinagar. Credit: PTI

A security Jawan stands guard during curfew in Srinagar. Credit: PTI

Srinagar: Parts of the Kashmir Valley saw signs of normalcy today as the region remained peaceful, by and large, after days of unrest following the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter on July 8.

A police officer in Srinagar said there had been a considerable improvement in the overall situation in the Valley. He said there had been no untoward incident yesterday and the situation remained by and large peaceful during the day.

Kishtwar under curfew for third day

While curfew was lifted from many parts of the Valley, the Kishtwar region remained under curfew for the third day. This was triggered by a stone pelting incident.

Three separatist leaders in the town were arrested on Saturday night and booked under the Public Safety Act (PSA) for disrupting peace in the district following which some persons resorted to stone pelting prompting the authorities to impose curfew in the district.

Police officials said that the curfew continued for the third day today, but the situation was under control.

They said that one more person, Asif, was detained by police during a raid last night for disrupting peace in the mountainous district.

The police said that more arrests were likely as they had prepared a list of people who could be seen shouting “objectionable and provocative” slogans in some video clips.

The authorities had yesterday relaxed the restrictions for two hours.

Schools, colleges remained shut

However, normal life continued to remain affected in Kashmir for the 81st straight day today due to the separatist call for shut down.

Shops, petrol pumps and other business establishments remained closed, while public transport remained off the roads.

There was, however, an increase in the movement of cars and auto-rickshaws in and around the city centre in the summer capital Srinagar, with some areas witnessing heavy rush of people.

Schools, colleges and other educational institutions also remained closed across the Valley.

The separatist groups are spearheading the ongoing unrest in Kashmir and have been announcing weekly protest programmes with periodic relaxation on some days.

As many as 82 persons, including two cops, have been killed and thousands of others were injured in the ongoing unrest.