Charlotte, NC: About 300 protesters took to the streets of Charlotte, North Carolina, in a fourth night of demonstrations on Friday, calling on authorities to “release the tapes” of the fatal police shooting of a black man, hours after his family released its own video.
Protesters gathered after nightfall in a small park and others chalked the names of police shooting victims from across the country on a street, but there was no sign of violence that marked demonstrations earlier in the week.
Protesters marched under the eye of armed National Guard troops, chanting “Resist the police” along with calls for the video of Tuesday’s shooting of Keith Scott, a 43-year-old father of seven, to be made public.
Charlotte police have claimed that Scott was armed with a gun, something that the family has denied.
Police officers and protesters, both on bicycles, led the way through streets closed to traffic. Marchers briefly entered an interstate highway running through the city but quickly returned to the local streets.
The footage released by the family did not show the moment when a black police officer shot Scott. The two-minute video recorded by Scott’s wife, Rakeyia, includes audio of her pleading with officers to hold fire as they confront Scott in a parked car outside a Charlotte apartment complex.
“Don’t shoot him! He has no weapon,” she can be heard telling officers as they yell at Scott, “Drop the gun!”
In the video, released by the family to US media outlets, Scott’s wife can be heard shouting “Keith, Keith, don’t do it,” before the shots rang out.
Scott’s death was the latest in a string of police killings of black men in America, which have unleashed protests and riots across the country and led to international criticism of the US’ treatment of minorities.
Over the last two years, protesters have filled streets from Milwaukee to Minneapolis, from Ferguson, Missouri, to Baltimore. Protesters have also taken to the streets in Dallas and Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where police officers were shot and killed by gunmen who claimed to be avenging the deaths of black men unjustly slain by law enforcement.
In the video released by the family, Scott’s wife also tells police that her husband had a TBI, or traumatic brain injury and had just taken “his medicine.” It was not clear from the video whether police heard the wife nor the nature of any injury Scott may have sustained.
CNN quoted a source close to the Charlotte investigation as saying that a loaded gun had been recovered at the scene of the crime and that fingerprints, DNA and blood on it matched Scott’s.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the report.
Video footage no ‘panacea’
Along with Scott’s family, protesters have dismissed the police claim that Scott had a gun and have called on authorities to release video taken by law enforcement to shed light on the controversy.
The family initially contended that Scott was carrying a book, but after viewing the police video on Thursday, the family said it was “impossible to discern” what, if anything, Scott was carrying.
“There’s nothing in that video that shows him acting aggressively, threatening or maybe dangerous,” Justin Bamberg, one of the lawyers representing the family, said in an interview early on Friday.
Charlotte mayor, Jennifer Roberts, on Friday also called for release of the police videos. “I do think it would help in terms of transparency to release that footage,” she said in an interview with CNN.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney has said that video taken by police body cameras supported the police version of events, but he has refused to release the video to the public. He told reporters on Friday that releasing it now could harm the investigation, which the state is leading.
“I know the expectation is that video footage can be the panacea and I can tell you that is not the case,” Putney said, adding that he would eventually agree with the release of the video. “It’s a matter of when and a matter of sequence.”
Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton added her voice to calls for release “without delay” of the video. “We must ensure justice and work to bridge divides,” she said on Twitter on Friday.
Clinton initially announced plans to go to Charlotte on Sunday, but late on Friday her campaign said the trip had been postponed.
The demonstrations in Charlotte spread to Atlanta on Friday night, with about 250 protesters taking to the streets of downtown Atlanta, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.