Karnataka home minister G. Parameshwara on Tuesday said the state was disappointed with the Supreme Court verdict, which directed it to release 6,000 cusecs of Cauvery water to neighbouring Tamil Nadu from September 21 until 27 September.
According to LiveMint, he said, “Time and again we are treated like this. How can this be justice?”
“We don’t know details. We had opposed 3,000 cusecs of water release, instead of taking note, the Supreme Court doubled it. How can this be?”
Karnataka chief minister Siddaramaiah has called a meeting of senior leaders in the state on Wednesday to discuss the issue and plan their next course of action after analysing the fine print copy of the order.
According to NDTV, Siddaramaiah said implementing the order would be “difficult, since we do not have water”.
A bench of Justices Dipak Misra and U. U. Lalit also directed the Centre to constitute the Cauvery Water Management Board – a body to regulate and monitor the release of water – within a month, Financial Express reports.
The Supreme Court order came just a day after the Cauvery Supervisory Committee headed by secretary of the Ministry of Water Resources, Shashi Shekhar, had ordered Karnataka to release 3,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu from 21 September to 30 September.
Despite the day-long discussions on Monday, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu had failed to reach an agreement on the quantum of water to be released.
Following the Supreme Court’s order on Tuesday, protesters have already taken to the streets in Mandya. The protests have been peaceful so far.
Ahead of Tuesday’s hearing in the Supreme Court, security forces had been stationed at sensitive points to prevent a repeat of last Monday’s violence. Prohibitory orders continue in Bengaluru city and parts of Mandya.
(With PTI inputs)