Fresh Clashes Claim Another Life in Kashmir; Curfew Lifted in Srinagar

Srinagar under curfew. Credit: PTI

Srinagar under curfew. Credit: PTI

Srinagar: Fresh clashes between protestors and security forces in Anantnag district claimed another life on Tuesday (September 6), taking the death toll in the ongoing unrest in Kashmir to 73, even as normal life remained disrupted for the 60th consecutive day.

Naseer Ahmad Mir was killed as security forces tried to chase away a large number of protestors in the Seer Hamdan area of south Kashmir. A police official said that several others sustained injuries. A woman who was injured is in critical condition.

Another person, Musaib Nagoo, succumbed to his injuries at a hospital in Srinagar on Monday night. He was injured during clashes between protestors and security forces on Sunday in the Sopore town of Baramulla district.

Normal life in the Valley has been affected by clashes after the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in July. However, curfew was lifted from all areas in Srinagar following improvement in the situation.

Although authorities lifted curfew from seven police station areas of the city after two days, normal activities remained suspended due to a separatist sponsored strike.

A police spokesperson, however, said that restrictions on the assembly of people would remain in forces across the Valley to maintain law and order.

Shops, business establishments and petrol pumps open only in the evening when separatists announce relaxation in the strike for some days of the week.

Schools, colleges and other educational institutions remain closed. However, according to officials, attendance in government offices and banks has showed signs of improvement for the past few days.

Public transport continued to be off the roads.

The separatists, who are spearheading the ongoing agitation, have extended the shutdown programme till September 8.

As part of their weekly protest programme, they have called for peaceful protests by women on Tuesday, while announcing a 12-hour relaxation in the strike from 6 pm.