New Delhi: Two Indians nationals were among the 14 persons killed in the attack on a minibus by a Taliban suicide bomber in Kabul on Monday morning.
The minibus was carrying security guards working for a private security company, Sabre international from their residential compound to the Canadian embassy.
The Afghan ministry of interior had at first identified all 14 as Nepalese nationals, with five more Nepalese injured. Four Afghans were also hurt in bomb blast which took place when the suicide bomber approached the bus at about 6 a.m.
Condemning the attack, India offered help to Nepal in taking back their mortal remains home.
It was only by night, when all the victims were identified that Nepal confirmed that 12 out of the 14 dead were its nationals..
The two Indian security guards were identified as Ganesh Thapa and Govind Singh from Dehradun. “Government is in touch with the families of Indian nationals and is working with the Afghan government to repatriate their mortal remains at the earliest,” said the external affairs ministry spokesperson.
The Canadian foreign minister, Stéphane Dion, strongly condemned the attack “on a bus carrying security guards who protect the Embassy of Canada to Afghanistan, in Kabul.”
“On behalf of the Government of Canada, I offer my sincere condolences to the families and friends of the Nepalese and Indian security guards killed, and I wish a speedy recovery to those who have been injured. Many of the victims have been part of our embassy family for years, and they will be remembered for their service in the protection of the men and women at the Embassy,” he said.
Indians working in the private sector in Afghanistan have been victims of previous Taliban attacks. In May 2015, four Indians died when a Kabul guesthouse was stormed by three Taliban gunmen.
Earlier this month, Judith D’Souza, an Indian employee of an international NGO was abducted while returning home in Kabul. She has still not been traced.