Beirut: The Syrian National Coalition (SNC) opposition group welcomes US missile strikes that hit a Syrian army airbase and hopes they will continue in order to stop Syrian government bombardment, an SNC media official said on Friday.
“We hope for the continuation of the strikes in order to prevent the regime from using its planes to launch any new air raids or going back to using internationally banned weapons,” said Ahmad Ramadan, head of the SNC’s media office.
US President Donald Trump said he ordered missile strikes against the airfield from which a deadly chemical attack was launched this week, declaring he acted in America’s “national security interest” against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
US officials said the military fired dozens of cruise missiles against the base in response to the suspected gas attack in a rebel-held area, which Washington has blamed on Assad’s forces. The Syrian government has strongly denied responsibility and says it does not use chemical weapons.
“The airbase targeted by the US strike was used to kill Syrians,” Ramadan said, adding that the SNC believes the base in Homs was partly used to launch chemical attacks.
The US attack “sends a clear message to the regime and its backers” that they can no longer avoid repercussions, Ramadan said.
The governor of Homs province said earlier that the airbase was used to support Syrian army operations against ISIS.