World

US Diplomats Circulate Memo Against Trump’s Immigration Order

The draft memo argued the policy would be counterproductive and damage the US’s image abroad.

Police redirect travelers after the security check point was closed due to protests in Terminal 4 at San Francisco International Airport in San Francisco, California, US, January 28, 2017. Credit: Reuters/Kate Munsch

Police redirect travelers after the security check point was closed due to protests in Terminal 4 at San Francisco International Airport in San Francisco, California, US, January 28, 2017. Credit: Reuters/Kate Munsch

Washington: US state department officials on Monday circulated a draft memo criticising President Donald Trump’s executive order on immigration, prompting a retort from the White House that they should “get with the programme or they can go.”

The order, which Trump issued on Friday, banned immigration from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen, and temporarily halted the entry of refugees. Chaos broke out as border, customs, and immigration officials struggled to act on the directive amid loud protests at major US airports.

The draft memo in the “dissent channel,” through which dissenting views are sent to the secretary of state and other top department officials, argued the policy would be counterproductive and damage the US’s image abroad.

“The end result of this ban will not be a drop in terror attacks in the United States; rather it will be a drop in international good will towards Americans and a threat towards our economy,” said the draft memo seen by Reuters.

The document argued the policy would sour relations with the affected countries, inflame anti-American sentiment, and hurt those who seek to visit the US for humanitarian reasons such as medical care.

“Moreover, such a policy runs counter to core American values of nondiscrimination, fair play, and extending a warm welcome to foreign visitors and immigrants,” it added.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer said he was aware of the memo and thought media reporting on the executive order had been “blown way out of proportion and exaggerated.”

“These career bureaucrats have a problem with it? I think that they should either get with the program or they can go,” he told reporters at his daily briefing.

Acting state department spokesman Mark Toner, however, called the dissent channel an “important” vehicle to convey alternative views that acting secretary of state Thomas Shannon and the department as a whole “value and respect.”

An affront to Iraqi pride?

Separately, US officials said the department had received multiple cables from US embassies over the weekend reporting foreign dismay at Trump’s executive order. Host countries expressed unhappiness and US embassies have questioned how to implement what homeland security and other officials said was a poorly conceived policy.

A cable from the US embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia, the country with the world’s largest Muslim population, reported Indonesians had taken to social media to express “outrage,” and cited the order as “an example of the Islamophobia of the new administration,” said a US official, reading from the cable.

A cable from the US embassy in Khartoum said Sudanese businessmen worried the new order would hurt “their ability to attract U.S. business to Sudan in the wake of the lifting of U.S. sanctions a week earlier,” the official said.

The Barack Obama administration took steps on Jan. 13 to lift a 20-year-old trade embargo against Sudan, unfreeze assets, and remove financial sanctions in what it said was a response to the country’s assistance in fighting ISIS and other extremist groups.

The US embassy in Baghdad said many Iraqis viewed the order “as an affront to Iraq’s national pride (in a part of the world where pride and honour are often considered more important than concrete signs of support),” the US official said, quoting from the embassy cable.

Iraq, which is allied with the US in the battle against the ISIS extremist group and hosts more than 5,000 US troops, had no immediate comment on the order.

The cable said there were 7,000 US contractors associated with the US mission in Iraq, 2,000 of whom are regular passport holders who could be affected if Iraq retaliated with reciprocal steps, the official said.

Asked about the cables, a state department spokesperson said: “We will not comment on internal communications.”

Here is the full text of the memo, courtesy the lawfare blog:

Dissent Memo by The Wire on Scribd

(Reuters)